April 2, 2017
1. Introductions and question of the Month? What is your favorite, most productive time for quilting?
2. Announcements/Updates: Elmira show, 4/21-4/23, cards are in the foyer of QC.; Sujata Shaw, 4/11, lecture at LifeLong; Quilt show in Manlius next weekend at ToePath quilt store. Next sew-in day is May 6, at Karen's center in Horseheads, need irons, ironing boards, cutting boards, Witches Stitches in Big Flats, 10-5, bring your own food or go out. If you bring your MQG card to Joann's you might get a 10% discount.
a. Quilts /21/from the TCQG Trunk Show will be returned and report on the show: Pat did an awesome job of preparing PP and lecture, they wondered why we didn't stay for their show (too late for travelers); good questions about what is modern, used our handouts, asked them to say what makes a quilt modern; they are a very diverse group, not strictly traditional. There was a lot of complementary comment
b. Discussion on Raffling Troutline. Sell tickets for 180 Rules for raffling: (100), no checks, show the quilt, all this comes from the gaming commission; questions raised: is their a parent organization that could raffle; donate and let them raffle; let them know how much it costs to make it; donate it this time and be prepared for the next quiltcon competition; are we in the market for raising funds or making quilts for groups, find out what groups (non-profit) do fund raising events, people who know organizations who would do raffle send info to Pat who will post them on our facebood page, list it for sale in guild show with a price tag and if it sells then donate that money. First option, find an organization who would raffle it, second option is to sell it and donate the money.
c. Other announcements TBD Our guild logo is done, the group voted to have a mold made ($80) so we can each by a pin with the logo. UFO – update book next time because not here for this meeting.
3. Calendar of Activities—more folks to sign up? August and September openings for Transforming Tradition.
4. Transforming Tradition Projects -Jayne brought a pink and green traditional: suggestions: quilt it, dye it, cut it up and use negative space; diagonal cuts
5. Demo 101; easy flying geese, Cheryl, Connecting threads.com/tutorials/flying geese
6. Tool of the Month – Bonnie, Deb Tucker's V block, she used the tool on her flower from the flower project.
7. UFOs and Show and Tell: Bonnie, break down areas, her proce ss. Jayne: quilt made from blocks made by a group of 3rd graders and mug rugs; Cheryl – Christmas quilt that shse quilted from the back; Meri – traditional (just a little crabby) that she is selling at the small quilt sale, Sujata Shaws rail fence with aboriginal fabric; Marion showed a top that was foundation pieced back in the '80's; Mary showed a quick curve ruler wedding ring quilt; Val showed a piece that she was commissioned to make with animal batiks, part of a quilt using the curved ruler, and a quilt called The Spark; Pat showed her son-in-laws t-shit quilt, with minky on the back
May Meeting Agenda
May 7, 2017
- Introductions and question of the Month—TBD?
- Calendar of Activities—more folks to sign up?
- Transforming Tradition Projects - Sharon
- Demo 101 - Reverse Applique' - Karen
- Tool of the Month - Hexie - Sharon
- UFOs and Show and Tell