Ithaca Modern Quilt Guild Minutes
March 5, 2017
a. March meeting activity—Get well cards were made during the March meeting
b. IMQG banner— Logo: Sarah showed examples of what printing the logo out on various fabrics would look like, Spoonflower you just pay for the fabric, needs to be 8700 pixels, no size or shape settled yet for our logo, Reddog enterprises also is an option. Need to have the logo printed first before deciding on finishing the banner, plan the size based on how it might be used, like hanging on a table. Kim will send a high- resolution pdf to Sarah who will send it to Spoonflower for a 24x24 inch piece.
c. TCQG Trunk Show—March 14th 7 pm Lifelong was cancelled and rescheduled for March 28th.
d. Genesee Valley Quilt Fest: 6/2-4/17, In Rochester
e. QuiltCon: People attending QuiltCon reported on the best thing about the show: Pat: walking the show; cut the fingers off three fingers on your gloves; Karen: free stuff; Bonnie: intense visual impact of seeing things in person, opportunity to get things at lower cost, hopes to be a vender in two years; Valerie: Andrea Walters quilts; Nancy: ability to act crazy, Natalia Bonner (quilter); Jayne: printing on fabric and letting quilt evolve; name a project manager so that quilts leave with information on our quilts. Next one on the east coast is in Nashville.
f. Troutline Raffle: Trout Line came back to Kim, now we need organize the raffle, like the raffle committee. Bonnie will help Sarah with making the tickets. One suggestion is to raffle and donate the money. We need to say, up front, where the money is going – BOCES. This needs to go on the tickets. Pat will ask what part of the program the money will aide.
g. April Workshop: Cheryl – still openings in the April workshop, 4/10, at the Tuesday meeting, “The Root Connection”
h. Sew-in Day May 13th in Horsesheads. This date has been changed to May 6th.
2. Question of the Month— Introductions: how you got your name, send suggestions for next month to Kim..
3. The Draft Calendar—Sign ups continued
4. Made Modern Vote—The category that won the vote was “Unquilt Made Modern.” In March we’ll discuss the parameters of this guild challenge.
5. Transforming Tradition demo— Sarah and Linda showed projects that they wanted help transforming them into something modern.
6. Tool of the Month—Jayne talked about how she uses an ordinary pencil to mark quilts. It washes out, so that marks don’t show.
7. Demo 101—Board Basting Quilts: Pat showed how to wrap quilts on boards to spray baste quilts and Jayne showed the similar way to use the boards to pin or hand stitch baste quilts.
8. UFOs and Show and Tell
Ithaca Modern Quilt Guild Agenda
April 2, 2017
1. Introductions and question of the Month—TBD?
a. Quilts from the TCQG Trunk Show will be returned and report on the show
b. Discussion on Raffling Troutline.
c. Other announcements TBD
3. Calendar of Activities—more folks to sign up?
4. Transforming Tradition Projects
5. Demo 101
6. Tool of the Month
7. UFOs and Show and Tell